_________

Not Nice? 

Beautifully Tragic and Tragically Beautiful

Ruining people and destroying reputations is only the start of it.





12.31.2017

Ring

A couple of people lost their limbs already. I thought the worst was over. I thought we would make it. Just one more day and the week long patrol would be over.

No one had ever hid an IED in the dirt walls before. The walls stretch on forever on every side. And if you did plant one, how would you know which way the bomb should face? Shouldn’t it face the road? No- it was facing the farms- the grape vines.

Ready and waiting.

And waiting.

And waiting.

One man jumps over.

Another

Another

Another

Another

Another

BOOM

The dust.

It was every where

My heart sinking, it’s in freefall. No. No. No.

I already know. I already know but I deny it. No one has ever died in the center of the line, it’s always the guys in the front who are in the most danger. Not us. NOT US.

The helicopter is already in bound. Another squad nearby had their medic lose both of their legs. Thank god, maybe you can be saved. The rest of us start jumping that same wall.

The dirt ground is soaked in your blood. There’s so much. There’s too much.

Three limbs.

You lost three limbs.

Chunks of flesh, I can’t forget what they look like. That smell. The dust. The noise. Ah, I’m shaking but I won’t stop. I can’t afford to forget this feeling.

They load you onto the chopper last second. It wasn’t meant for you originally. All of the afghan soldiers are crying. I slump next to the long wall. I’m numb.


I miss you. 

No comments: